Class start and end procedure
Start of Class
- The senior member gives the command to face the Instructor
and bow (eg "Charyot, Sabum nim kke, Kyong ye").
- The senior member then gives
the command to recite the Student Oath. ("Recite the Student Oath,
- The Instructor watches the
students recite the oath.
- The senior member gives the command to return to attention
- Class begins
End of Class
- The senior member gives the command to face the
Instructor and bow (eg " Charyot, Sabum nim kke, Kyong ye").
- The Instructor
gives the command to dismiss ("Hae san")
- All Clap
- The Instructor does not recite the Oath, but can take this time to
observe the students, that they are saying the oath, uniform is
correct and so on. The Instructor should remain in attention stance.
- When reciting the Oath, the students face forward, right hand raised
and look straight ahead.
- There is no longer a bow to the flag or to the senior member.
When there is more than one Instructor of different ranks,
the procedure to bow is as follows:
- The senior member gives the command to face the Instructors and one
bow takes place. e.g. For a Master and a 4th dan Instructor the commands
would be: "Charyot, Sahyun nim kke, Sabum nim kke, Kyong ye".
At a grading, Masters and Examiners should be positioned at the front
of the class, Instructors in the next line, then students lined
up behind. The procedure for bowing at the start and end should be
- Bow to the Masters and/or Examiners first (eg "Charyot, Sahyun
nim kee, Simsa nim kke, Kyong ye").
- Recite the Oath.
- Instructors then turn to face the students and the senior member
gives the command to bow (eg "Sabum nim kee, Boosabum
nim kke, Kyong ye").
- Grading begins (with the host introducing the Examiners and Instructors)
or ends (with the most senior Master or Examiner saying "Hae san").
- While waiting, students should sit properly
and not make any noise... e.g. No calling out out during free sparring
or any other time.
- Members should stay for the entire grading unless they are specifically allowed
to leave - e.g. younger kids groups etc
- Black belt certificates from the previous grading may be presented. Those people
should be in dobok to receive their certificates. If they are not present, the
certificates will be left with the Instructor.
- Black belts should be present to help marshal at the grading. It is a black
belt's responsibility to turn up and help.
At a Tournament, the most senior Instructor present
should be bowed to at the start and end of the tournament.