Dan Syllabus Updates
The following updates will be included in the 2016 edition of the Black Belt Handbook, available in February 2016.
2016 Changes (changes are in green).
Summary of changes
- Step sparring changed: All candidates must know all previous levels of all step sparring.
- Vital spots corrected (thanks Dr Pearson)
- ITF teaching licence requirement added for senior dans
- 5th to 6th dan breaking modified
- Removed requirement to be a current instructor for 7th dan.
- Credit points for tournaments now based on days and half days (so Nationals can be 2 points if you officiate on both days)
- Fitness test for 50+ that were introduced last year have been added
The following changes to 1st - 3rd dan gradings have approved by the Technical Advisor Group and come into force as of 1 July 2015.
- Contribution credits points can now be earned by umpiring/officiating at a tournament for half a day (for half a point) instead of being required for the duration of the whole tournament. It is hoped this will encourage more black belts to assist at tournaments as they can compete as well if they wish, or help for part of the day and still get official acknowledgment for it.
- Those 50 years and over have the option of completing the fitness test up to 4 weeks prior to the black belt grading. The fitness test must be conducted after the application is submitted, and overseen by an examiner (unless in an isolated location). The examiner would pass on the test results to the grading examiners. On the day of the grading the candidate would be encouraged to assist with the test or join in parts of it if they wish.
The 2014 edition of the Techniques Handbook is now available.
Summary of main changes
- Red belt and above must attend an Instructors Induction Course and complete 6 months of assisting in a class before they can test for their next dan grading.
- Senior dan grading requirements added, such as the requirement to have supervisor and fitness test.
- Change to women's push ups in the fitness test
You can view a PDF of the handbook
in the Member Downloads Page »
ITFNZ Black Belt Grading Fees »
ITFNZ Black Belt Grading Fee Policy »
Previous Updates »